Marta GARCÍA MARTÍNEZ
Principal Project Specialist - Computational Science
Argonne National Laboratory
Computational Science Division
Bldg. 240, Room 1132
9700, South Cass Avenue
Argonne, IL 60439
Phone: (630) 252-0091
E-mail: [email protected]
My current research focuses on applying business and leadership principles to the management and execution of complex and challenging projects with multidisciplinary teams. Based on experiences from projects managed since 2013, I have particular interest in cross-functional, cross-organizational relationships and in understanding human dynamics between teams to build social capital. In addition, my research in the past years has been focused on topics related to high-performance computing (HPC), computational fluid dynamics (CFD) , and most recently in the field of neuroscience through my joint appointment and collaboration with neuroscientists from the Feinberg School of Medicine at Northwestern University.
January 19th, 2009: Ph.D. student in Fluid Mechanics, delivered by INP Toulouse
Dissertation: "Development and validation of the Euler-Lagrange formulation on a parallel and unstructured solver for large-eddy simulation".
Carried out at CERFACS and within the MEGEP Doctoral school.
Advisor: Thierry Poinsot, Research Director at IMFT.
February 22nd, 2001: Degree in Mechanical Engineering at CPS Zaragoza, Spain.
"Numerical simulation of the effects of components deterioration in gas turbine systems".
Carried out at the Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering Dept., University of Rome "La Sapienza" (Italy) with a Socrates/Erasmus Grant.
Major: "Energy and Technology of Heat and Fluids".
10/2010 - 03/2016: Assistant Computational Scientist at Argonne National Laboratory, Lemont, IL (USA)
03/2018 - present: Principal Project Specialist - Computational Science at Argonne National Laboratory, Lemont, IL (USA)
Computational Science Division (CPS)
- Senior Institute Fellow, Northwestern-Argonne Institute of Science and Engineering (NAISE) focused on expanding collaborations between neuroscientist from the Feinberg School of Medicine at Northwestern Univ. and Argonne.
- Program Director of the Argonne Training Program on Extreme-Scale Computing (ATPESC) 2016-2019.
- Committee Chair & co-Chair: 2019 and 2020 Exascale Computing Project Annual Meeting.
- Member of Review Committees: SC18, SC19, SC20, IPDPS 2019, IPDPS 2021, ATPESC and INCITE CR 2011-present.
- 2020-2021 INCITE Computational Readiness Review Deputy.
- Part of the staff involved in working groups to build the exascale system Aurora.
- Catalyst and single point of contact for INCITE projects and one Early Science Program (ESP) projects.
- Facility support staff for Director's Discretionary allocations and other facility projects.
- Member of the Advisory Committee for University Partnership Program.
- Supervisor of two NAISE Summer Students in 2019.
04/2016 - 03/2018: Principal Project Specialist - Computational Science at Argonne National Laboratory, Lemont, IL (USA)
Catalyst Team, Argonne Leadership Computing Facility (ALCF)
- Part of the ALCF staff involved in conversations, working groups and acceptance tests group for Theta.Team member of an Early Science Program project on Theta (early production system based on Intel's second-generation Xeon Phi processor)
- Program Director of the Argonne Training Program on Extreme-Scale Computing.
- Member of the Organizing Committee for the 2018 Exascale Computing Project Annual Meeting
- Participation in review committees, division and laboratory activities.
Catalyst Team, Argonne Leadership Computing Facility (ALCF)
02/2009 - 09/2010: Post-doctoral Fellow at CERFACS, Toulouse, France.
- Assistance with algorithm development, scaling efforts and collaboration with Leadership Science Project Teams to enable breakthrough science and engineering research at the ALCF.
- Part of the support team that monitors project progress and helps forestall problems with using ALCF and a single point of contact for key research initiatives and full project lifecycle assistance.
- Reports on the way that ALCF resources have been used, preparing reports and giving presentations at internal meetings and user meetings. Participates in division activities.
- Builds relationships with other supercomputer centers to address common challenges on computational science issues.
- Active participant of internal review committees, workshops and other events at Argonne National Laboratory.
Analysis of dynamic load balancing and parallel partitioning algorithms for unstructured 3D CFD codes.
Implementation of parallel partitioning algorithms (from ParMETIS library) in a 3D CFD code.
10/2005 - 01/2009: Ph.D. student at CERFACS, Toulouse, France.
Responsible for conception, development and implementation of a Lagrangian particle tracking method in a parallel, unstructured and hybrid CFD code.
Maintenance and management of new developments; training and support of other students involved in the project.
Thesis funded by SNECMA (SAFRAN group) and CERFACS.
Summer Program 2006: Participation to the Center for Turbulence Research Summer Program 2006 at Stanford University.
03/2002 - 08/2005: Study Engineer at CERFACS, Toulouse, France. (2x18 months)
Implementation of partitioning algorithms (from METIS library) for CFD computations.
Support to parallelism development, code debugging, profiling and memory optimisation of a CFD unstructured code.
Redaction of technical reports and code documentation of partitioning and parallel library.
05/2001 - 09/2001: Project Manager at INGEMETAL S.A., Zaragoza, Spain.
Construction of the Burke Brise Soleil cover for the Milwaukee Art Museum addition (designed by Santiago Calatrava).
Responsible for communication, work supervision and interactions between American and Spanish working teams.
07/2000 - 05/2001: Internship at Instituto Tecnológico de Aragón, Zaragoza, Spain.
Acoustic measurements and viability studies at the Mechanical and New Materials Dept.
- Spanish: mother tongue.
- English: Written, read and spoken fluently. Daily use in the working environment (2010-present)
- French: Written, read and spoken fluently. Daily use in the working environment (2002-2010)
- Italian: Read and spoken fluently; good written. Daily use in the family environment (1999-present)
- German: notions.
- M. García. "Développement et validation du formalisme Euler-Lagrange dans un solveur parallèle et non-structuré pour la simulation aux grandes échelles." Ph.D. Thesis TH/CFD/09/1 (in english), INP Toulouse (2009).
Papers in refereed journals
- T. Poinsot, M. García, J. M. Senoner, L. Gicquel, G. Staffelbach and O. Vermorel. "Numerical and Physical Instabilities in Massively Parallel LES of Reacting Flows", Journal of Scientific Computing, 49, No 1, pp. 78-93 (2011).
- F. Jaegle, J.-M. Senoner, M. García, F. Bismes, R. Lecourt, B. Cuenot and T. Poinsot. "Eulerian and Lagrangian spray simulations of an aeronautical multipoint injector", Proc. Combustion Institute, 33, pp. 2099-2107 (2011).
- N. Gourdain, L.Y.M. Gicquel, M. Montagnac, O. Vermorel, M. Gazaix, G. Staffelbach, M. García, J.-F. Boussuge and T. Poinsot. "High performance parallel computing of flows in complex geometries: I. Methods", Computational Science & Discovery 2 015003 (2009).
- J.-M. Senoner, M. Sanjosé, T. Lederlin, F. Jaegle, M. García, E. Riber, B. Cuenot, L.Y.M. Gicquel, H. Pitsch and T. Poinsot. "Eulerian and Lagrangian large-eddy simulations of an evaporating two-phase flow", Comptes Rendus Mécanique, 337(6-7), pp. 458-468 (2009).
- E. Riber, V. Moureau, M. García, T. Poinsot and O. Simonin. "Evaluation of numerical strategies for LES of two-phase recirculating flows", Journal of Computational Physics, 228(2), pp. 539-564 (2009).
- J.-M. Senoner, M. García, S. Mendez, G. Staffelbach, O. vermorel and T. Poinsot. "Growth of Rounding Errors and Repetitivity of Large-Eddy Simulations", AIAA Journal, 46(7), pp. 1773-1781 (2008).
Papers published in journals without referees
- E. Riber, M. García, V. Moureau, H. Pitsch, O. Simonin and T. Poinsot. "Evaluation of numerical strategies for LES of two-phase reacting flows". In Proceedings of the Summer Program 2006, pp. 197-211 Center for Turbulence Research, NASA Ames/Stanford Univ. (2006).
Papers presented at technical meetings with review
- S. Som, D. E. Longman, S. M. Aithal, R. Bair, M. García, S. P. Quan, K.J. Richards, P.K. Senecal, T. Shethaji and M. Weber. "A numerical Investigation on Scalability and Grid Convergence of Internal Combustion Engine Simulations". SAE 2013 World Congress & Exhibition, 13PFL-0587 / 2013-01-1095, April 16 (2013). Accepted and Pending for publication
- F. Jaegle, J.-M. Senoner, M. García, C. Jiménez, B. Cuenot, T. Poinsot. "Evaluation of Simulation Strategies for Multipoint Injection Systems in Aero-Engines on the Example of a Liquid Jet in a Gaseous Crossflow". In ICLASS 2009, 11th Triennial International Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems, Vail, Colorado USA, July (2009).
- M. García, E. Riber, O. Simonin and T. Poinsot. "Comparison between Euler/Euler and Euler/Lagrange LES approaches for confined bluff-body gas-solid flow". In Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Multiphase Flow CD-Rom - S3_Fri_A_62 - Leipzig, Germany (2007).
- M. García, Y. Sommerer, T. Schönfeld and T. Poinsot. "Evaluation of Euler/Euler and Euler/Lagrange strategies for large-eddy simulations of turbulent reacting flows". In ECCOMAS Thematic Conference on Computational Combustion Lisbon, Portugal (2005).
Papers presented at meetings without review
- N. Gourdain, L.Y.M. Gicquel, M. Montagnac, O. Vermorel, M. Gazaix, G. Staffelbach, M. García, J.-F. Boussuge and T. Poinsot. "High performance computing of industrial flows: Application to aeronautic and propulsion challenges - in- vited conference". In VKI Lecture Series on High Performance Computing of Industrial Flows, Von Kármán Institute, Brussels, Belgium (2009).
- M. García, Y. Sommerer, T. Schönfeld and T. Poinsot. "Assessment of Euler-Euler and Euler-Lagrange Strategies for Reactive Large-Eddy Simulations". In 1st Workshop INCA pp. 65-74, SNECMA Villaroche, France (2005).
- M. García. "Partitionnement parallèle du maillage". Projet ANR CAMPAS, Livrable L5 CR/CFD/09/119, CERFACS (December 2009).
- F. Jaegle, J.-M. Senoner, M. García, C. Jimenez, B. Cuenot, and T. Poinsot. "Comparison of Euler-Euler and Euler-Lagrange methods for liquid jet injection in a crossflow". TR/CFD/09/104, CERFACS (December 2009).
- E. Riber, V. Moureau, M. García, T. Poinsot, and O. Simonin. "Evaluation of numerical strategies for Large Eddy Simulation of particulate two-phase recirculating flows". TR/CFD/07/135, CERFACS (December 2007).
- M. García. "Interpolateur parallèle de solutions". Projet ANR CAMPAS, Livrable L3 CR/CFD/07/149, CERFACS (July 2007).
- M. García. "Analysis of precision differences observed for the AVBP code". TR/CFD/03/84, CERFACS (2003).